Saturday, April 20, 2013

A windy Saturday - April 20

We've had erratic weather this Spring -- still getting freezes overnight but have had daytime temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees.  And then a day in the 40's. Weird.  We planted some peppers and tomatoes in the garden about a week ago, after about a week of nice weather, and then we got a freeze overnight so we lost those seedlings.  I'm waiting until the end of the month to plant any other vegetables outdoors.  I'm glad lettuces and cilantro and arugula can stand the cold weather -- they are surviving and growing in spite of the overnite freezes. 

Yesterday it was sunny and nice and I worked in the garden, transplating some variegated vinca and some violets.  The grape hyacinth are gorgeous.  I think the last cold snap hurt the red buds and we may not have the color we've had in past years.  I still have lot of leaves to rake and get off of some of the gardens, so there is plenty for me to do outside even if I can't plant vegetables yet. 

Andy has started working on the outdoor wood-fired oven.  He's staked out the space, ordered supplies and picked up some things from Lowe's to start working on the foundation.  He's looking for a cement mixer -- he's going to have a lot of cement work to do and it would  be costly to rent one for the length of time he will need it. 

Last week I gave a presentation to the Kiwanis Club about our Liquid Art events to benefit Phoenix Circle Foundation.  It was well received and I'm hopeful for more participants at the next sessions.  I'll probably start children's lessons after school ends. 

Today is very windy  but the temperature is supposed to be in the 60's.  I think I'll go to the winery for the weekly brainstorming session before working in the yard.   

No comments: