Wednesday, December 13, 2017

End of year House Concert

 Dec. 11, 2017
Chaparral Retreat, Whirlwind Winery, and Phoenix Circle Foundation were honored to host Nathan Brown at the Whirlwind Winery on Monday evening. We had great conversation, music, some poetry reading, and, of course Wine with a great group of people who came out on a weeknight to support an important goal: Bring more of the Arts to rural Oklahoma!   This show was the last Oklahoma House Concert for 2017, and as you can see from Nathan's post below, his next to last for the year. 
Our thanks go to Nathan for his time, wisdom, and inspiration; to Brad for the wine, and to friends who shared this special time with us and supported the arts with their presence and donations.

Nathan has published several books, available on Amazon and at Mezcalita Press LLC. Check out Nathan Brown-The Poetry Page on facebook and "Like" his page. 


Oklahoma House Concerts is "on the map" and attracting more and more musicians to come out and play in a special place, with more visitors from out of town coming to have a unique and intimate experience. 
 
After the show at the Winery on Monday, I spent time chatting with Nathan at the house. We stayed up way past my usual bedtime and talked about writing, inspirations, rituals, publishing, the potential we have in the small town where I live to have a fabulous place for the arts, music, writing, storytelling, workshops .... we were in a mind-meld. I want to put everything else I am involved in away in a box and just write. I have a few more things to get done this year, and then I may consider dropping everything else, staying in my cozy bedroom and just writing, try to finish one project. Winter is a good time for that, for me, because I hate cold weather and tend to spend a lot of time indoors anyway.  One thing Nathan told me he does everyday as part of his morning "ritual" is write one poem.  I'm going to incorporate that into my morning routine.   Here is what I wrote today: 

"Valerie jerks forward as she passes me, like the startled feral cats she lives with. Food and water are her only needs other than the occasional accidental brush against someone’s leg when she chooses to be near people. Though she was out on the street today, I guess she wasn't in the mood for human touch.  She isn’t seen much around town these days. I believe she’s found her place in the world, a kind of solitude among her feline friends. I wonder who puts out food and water for them all now." 


No comments: