Monday, March 21, 2011

IS IT SPRING . . . YET?

By the temperatures we're having this week, one might think it was early summer. It was 80 degrees yesterday. But we are still in for cold nights and the last "average freeze" date is April 1. I've begun raking leaves and discovering life under the brown crackling layer. The quince is in full bloom, as are daffodils and jonquils (I still don't know which is which) and tulips are about to pop. Irises and daylillies are shooting up but won't bloom for another month I think. I'm busy taking cuttings from everything from varigated vinca to mint sprigs and daylillies to get ready to sell at the Farmers Market. I've planted broccali, brussel sprouts, onion, and cilantro. I hope to get some other cold weather vegetables in the ground this coming weekend. Andy has put out seeds in the hot box for tomatoes, peppers, and basil. The garden up by the barn needs preparation for summer plants . . . we'll get to that sometime soon!

Spring break just got over and the Park and Lodge were busy all last week. I walked with a group through the Lodge and told a little bit of history of the park and the CCC and the Cheyenne culture here. One young couple asked me about the Medicine Tree and I related a story from recent history about an Indian who moved away when members of his family passed away at the local hospital instead of at the Medicine Tree. I am looking forward to hearing more stories from Larry Roman Nose. I referred a gentleman to the Ferguson Museam and he told me he enjoyed a tour there and his visit with Mary Dean, the curator of the Ferguson home. I took a family on a hike down the Lodge trail one day. The little girls were fascinated by the "false spring" and the mollusk shells they found on the shore of the lake. A visitor to the park saw a really big porcupine in a tree and she brought in a picture of it to show me. It was a busy week! The weather was very pleasant except for one day that was a little cool and overcast and windy.

This week I've seen deer in our yard and a coyote crossing the road, and turkey. Someone close by has recently acquired a donkey -- I can hear it braying loudly when I am out in the yard.

No comments: