Wednesday, August 9, 2017

August already?!?!

Aug 9, 2017
I am looking at the calendar for the past two months and the upcoming three months and can't believe how busy we've been. It's been a whirlwind of activity, with many new guests and several returning friends, working at the winery in town, and my involvement with the Red Carpet Country tourism association.  I am now Secretary of that board and we have our annual Tourism Conference coming up later this month, so we've been busy preparing for that since our last board meeting in June.

Skeeter is still holding his own.  We think he's about 12 years old now. He still likes to do "his rounds" around the property, but then spends most of the rest of the day laying around.  He'll follow the kids up the hill about half of the time.

4th of July was quiet out here.  All four of us went into OKC on the Monday before (July 3) to an artists reception at a small gallery downtown.  That was a nice evening out. Andy and I got away for a weekend in July and went to visit friends in Tulsa.  Trips to Tulsa are always fun and relaxing, even though it feels like we are running and eating most of the time.  That weekend was a birthday celebration for our friend Phyllis, and during the day Teri and I met up with my friend from El Paso, Jana, for lunch and drinks.  Later in the month we went to see our friend Katie Ballew perform at a little bar in El Reno called Vice's.  I'm not a bar kind of person (one reason I love our house concerts); I don't like the smoke and I don't like being out late. The nice thing about Vice's is that it is only 45 minutes away, they have an outdoor stage and seating area, and their music usually starts around 7:00 or 7:30 pm.  Our first time there we met the owners and made contacts with a couple of musicians for future house concerts here.

We've had lots of hot temperatures in late July and early August, but we do have a garden with tomatoes, squash, zucchini, potatoes, basil, rosemary. This week (Aug 7-12) is supposed to be cooler, with temperatures in the 80's and maybe 90 degrees.  We were able to have two house concerts outdoors this summer, one in June and one in July, and just got lucky the weather cooperated.  

We celebrated BIG (for small town folk) with a musician named Dylan Stewart playing at the Whirlwind Winery.  Doesn't sound like much, but it was a great evening with live music, good friends, wine, food, conversation, and lots of laughs.  I took photos, maybe I'll be able to download a few here.  I did finally get a smart phone, but mainly for use as a camera.






I'll write more later -- till then keep the sun out of your eyes and your feet on flat ground!
/Linda

No comments: