Monday, October 28, 2013

October weekend

We have a full house this weekend, plus guests during the week.
My best friend from Dallas came to visit last weekend (and brought lots of goodies to share!).  Even though rain was predicted, the weather turned out pretty decent, at least good enough to sit out on the back patio in front of the fireplace one evening, and take a tour of Watonga on Saturday. Unfortunately, neither of us were up to walking the four miles we used to walk every day.  After the driving tour, we stopped in at the Whirlwind Winery and she got a taste of our "local fare". She liked several of Brad's vintages and took some back to Dallas with her.  Other than that, we just relaxed and talked and ate and caught each other up on goings on here and there. I am eager for her to bring up some of the old "gang" in the spring.

One of the things Mary brought to me were some century plant babies that came off of a plant I have given to her several years ago.  The plant I gave her back then was from my dad's garden in El Paso.  When Andy and I moved up to Oklahoma, I brought three young babies from the original I had gotten from my dad and planted in my yard in Coppell (the original was too big to dig up and move so I left it in Coppell), but because I planted them and left them out over that first winter here, two didn't survive the wet winter and I only had one left, which has been kept in a pot and brought into my bedroom every winter since 2008.  Mary also brought me a couple of agave plants from her garden and they will definitely  have to come into the house in the winter.  I think I need a winter greenhouse for all of my plants that need to be indoors during the winter.  This month I'm going to try to give some of the plants away -- those that I have multiples of. 

Andy went to the OU/TT game on Saturday, and on Sunday we watched the Dallas Cowboys lose themselves in the last seconds of the game.  Nothing new there. 

This coming weekend is the annual Halloween Party we attend in town.  Two of our guests for the weekend are here for that event.  I hope of us is able to get up and prepare breakfast the morning after the party! This week Andy and I are making last minute decisions on our costumes for the party!!  I thought all year that I would be Medusa, but when it came down to actually getting a headpiece with SNAKES on it, I just couldn't do it.  Just looking at them on-line made me quesy, so that idea was nixed.  And I've spent ALL YEAR planning on that costume!!!  Of course, last year I went at Frida Kahlo, the Mexican artist, and no one knew who or what I was. 

The Texas room will be occupied this weekend by a dad and his two grown sons who meet here once a year and bike at Roman Nose State Park.  This is their third annual visit.  We plan on making pizza in the outdoor oven on Friday night and Dave has promised to bring homemade libations. The weekend weather is expected to be nice,  no rain, in the 60's. 

 

No comments: