Tuesday, June 14, 2011

ITS ONLY JUNE

Temperatures are in the high 90's. We have had some rain, though, so everything is green and the wildflowers are in full bloom on the sides of the road.

The Farm & Garden Market in Watonga is going well, though we are still looking for additional vendors. The produce in the area is just starting to ripen. We have one vendor with tomatoes and zucchini and broccali and cauliflower and beets. He also cans some great salsa, jellies, and chow chow. We are eating more and more vegetables. I am hoping to sell some seedlings and transplants this coming week, and Andy is making some walking sticks to sell, from cedar cut from trees on our property. I plan on decorating T-shirts for 4th of July.

Last weekend Andy transplanted bermuda sod into our yard from a vacant lot in town. He and a helper worked hard for two days, so we should have a real lawn in a month or so. I made an impromptu old fashioned breakfast of bacon, migas, and toast for the guys and they seemed to enjoy it. Our basil is producing well now, but grasshoppers have destroyed some of our other crops. I may have to put aside the "organic" treatments and drop the A-bomb on the little pests. I'm trying to convince myself that is the way to go, and will probably be ready to do it the next time I walk outside and see all of my beautiful plants eaten down to the nub.

We are eager to host a lawn concert this month -- trying to line up a singer/guitarist for that. I've set up a Facebook page also but haven't been able to get it linked in completely -- right now it's just a shell. I need a computer guru to help me with that!

We've been fortunate lately to have guests at the B&B who have become friends. And to have old friends come visit.

No comments: