Monday, November 20, 2017

YOU CAN GO HOME AGAIN

My focus these days is writing grant application essays. Following is a collaboration between me and my husband for the #MyGivingStory grant contest for Phoenix Circle Foundation-- it's his perspective, with my editing.

"YOU CAN GO HOME AGAIN
After WWII, my dad looked for a place to set up his business and raise a family, and an opportunity presented itself in the small rural town of Watonga, OK. It was primarily a farming community when we moved there. As men and women returned from their service during the war, business opportunities were abundant, and Watonga grew in population and commerce. It was also the County Seat and there were always people coming and going to and from our small town for county government business. My parents were “no nonsense” and lived the traits of kindness, generosity, helpfulness, and civic responsibility. They set good examples for us as involved members of the community in leadership positions in our church, the city government, civic clubs and Chamber of Commerce, and the schools. I remember as a preteen and then as a teenager that we had a very good life.
I left Watonga to go to college, and then began to look for a job. By the 1980’s my hometown had lost many of its businesses and there were no jobs to be had for someone with my education and skills. I settled in Dallas where I had a 30-year career and raised a family. Each time I visited family back in Watonga over those years, I witnessed the further descent of what was once a thriving family-centered community into a slowly dying small town, like many rural small towns. Each time I visited, my earlier-made decision to never live in Watonga was reinforced.

But God works in mysterious ways, and at the right time I ended up buying my family home outside the city limits of Watonga, where my wife and I would live in our retirement. As my parents had taught me, I felt a duty to be involved in the community and work with residents to make things better. My wife and I volunteered to help with any event, fundraiser, community activity or church need whenever asked. We donated money whenever asked. We both recognized the poverty and lack of opportunities for the children and families in the community other than church or school sponsored activities. Art education was not part of the school curriculum. There was no community center. Tennis courts and basketball courts were in disrepair and not being used. Many children were left on their own with no adult supervision either because of family poverty or because they weren’t involved in sports. We presented suggestions to the city and to the Chamber of Commerce on ways to help raise the standard of living in the town and provide activities for its residents. We had small successes.

My wife was not a person who gave up easily. She worked with a nonprofit organization, Phoenix Circle Foundation, and led programs in partnership with our church, the County Extension Service 4H club, the Chamber of Commerce, and a non-profit family services organization. She led art classes for children attending Vacation Bible School, with Phoenix Circle Foundation providing all supplies. She volunteered to read to children, both at the elementary school and as an after-school program at our church. She organized a free school supply giveaway, funded by Phoenix Circle Foundation and donations of supplies from people in the community. While on the board of the Chamber of Commerce, she helped start a Farmer’s Market and manned it every Saturday during the growing season. She worked with the County Extension Service to use grant funds they had available for a Community Garden, presented a plan for a Garden to the Methodist church council to use an empty lot owned by the church for the Garden space. Our family spent many days and hours preparing the ground and setting up raised beds, planting and nurturing the vegetable garden.

My wife is on the Board of Directors of the non-profit Phoenix Circle Foundation and is the driving force behind it. She has recruited board members, one of whom is a long-time resident with young children, the other a retired school teacher. I know I am biased, but I also know that my wife works endlessly to give the children and the community of Watonga a better life. I know that her motivation comes from growing up poor and not having the opportunities that we were able to provide for our own children.

We hope you’ll support our efforts through #GivingTuesday by voting for Phoenix Circle Foundation at mygivingstory.givingtuesday.org, OR with a donation through our GoFundMe campaign.
/Written by Andy Barrett –edited by Linda Barrett"

No comments: