Thursday, November 23, 2017

HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2017



Nov. 23, 2017
Today is supposed to be a nice day outdoors, with temperatures in the 60's.  I don't pay too much attention to the TV weather forecasts other than to get a general idea of temperature and possible rain on a day-to-day basis;  each TV weatherman has a different take from hour to hour.  We have two outside thermometers, one outside my bedroom window on the north side of the house under the patio cover, and the second outside the kitchen window on the southwest side of the house.


We are having a nice quiet Thanksgiving at home.  Andy's making a pork loin, Drew is making mashed potatoes and a butternut squash soup, Jenna is making deviled eggs and appetizer plate, I am making a jalapeno/cranberry salsa and roasted garlic broccoli.  Andy's made a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie. 


I started the day with quiet reflection and thankfulness for all of our blessings. There have been some tough times to get through but we've also had lots of support for what we are doing with our business, house concerts, the proposed art center.  I am learning to let go of the negative remarks, threats, and small town gossip, and focus on doing what our family can accomplish and not on what we can't change. Our friends and supporters, both local and people who come here from out of town and out of state, far outnumber the small group of naysayers. And I can look back over the year and see that my reaction to things and outlook have made me happier and less stressed.  Yes, I still catch myself thinking "unbelievable" when I see, hear, or read some of the silliness and pettiness that goes on in the world, but I am quicker to shut out those thoughts and look toward the good in the world. 


After checking my facebook pages, emails, wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, expressing thanks to all of our friends, family and supporters, I plan on spending some time playing with our puppy, Sadie.  She's a hoot - runs around like a greyhound, jumps and twirls like a whirling dervish, will take a sock with a ball in it and swing it around and then throw it, like a shotput. I'm going to try and record her and post it to facebook.


I continually have our building project on my mind.  Raising money to finish the building and open the art center is my full-time job.  In reviewing the budget for the project for a grant application, I was surprised by the numbers -- we've invested $25,000 of our own money, have raised $4,000 in donations and grants, and still need about $25,000 to make it into a classy place that our community can be proud of.  But for today, I'm putting all of that aside and enjoying the day with friends and family!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!
/Linda  (not proofread)

No comments: